What is Interlibrary Loan?
You can use Interlibrary loan to request books, articles, and other materials that the Simmons College Library does not own.
What can I borrow?
You can request books, articles, dissertations, DVDs, VHS, CDs, and book chapters. Textbooks and items on reserve in the Library may not be requested.
How do I request an item?
After you've determined that we don't own the item you're looking for, login using the form to the left, and choose the appropriate request type (book, article, etc.).
Where do I pick items up?
When items arrive you will receive an email to let you know. Items should be picked up at the Circulation Desk when the Library is open. Faculty may have items delivered to their offices.
How are articles delivered?
Articles are made available to you as PDFs that you can access by logging into your Interlibrary Loan account.
How do I contact Interlibrary Loan?
||Beatley Library, L-121
- Who can use ILL?
- Current students, faculty, and staff at Simmons College may use ILL. Other patrons must use the ILL services at their academic institution or local public library.
- What can I borrow through ILL?
- You can request books, articles, media, and book chapters that are not owned by Simmons through ILL. You cannot request items that Simmons owns but are currently checked out, or that are on reserve at Simmons. You cannot request textbooks.
- How can I request an item?
- First, make sure that Simmons does not own the item you are looking for by searching the Library catalog. If the item is not owned by Simmons, login using the form on the right and fill out the appropriate request form with the relevant details.
- When will my items arrive? How will I know?
- Articles typically arrive within 3-4 days. Other materials (books, DVDs, etc.) typically arrive within 7 days. You will receive an email from ILL informing you that your items are ready to be picked up.
- Where do I pick up items? How do I retrieve articles?
- Students can pick up hard-copy items at the Circulation Desk. Faculty and staff may have items delivered to their offices. Articles are made available as PDFs that you can access by logging into your Interlibrary Loan account.
- How long can I keep ILL items?
- Your item will come with a paper slip indicating the due date, which is decided by the lending library and not by Simmons. Most items circulate for about four weeks. Keep and return all paperwork that comes with your items, as this makes it easier for ILL staff to process your items once they are returned.
- Can I renew materials borrowed through interlibrary loan?
- You can request a renewal through your ILL account on this webpage by selecting 'View/Renew Checked Out Items.' You will receive an email indicating whether or not your renewal was approved, along with the new due date if applicable. There is a limit of one renewal per item, and renewals may not be requested after the due date.